Saturday, December 13, 2008

Jesus

Last night, we had the opportunity to attend our granddaughter’s High School Christmas program at Community Christian School. Yes, you heard it right, I said the word Christmas. The program consisted of the grade school, Jr High and High School students playing and singing Christmas carols. My granddaughter, Kenady, Rod’s daughter, is in the High School choir and they did an outstanding job of entertaining everybody. After hearing these young kids sing, I can fully understand why they have won so many awards. As I sat through the program, I thought about the Norman school system not allowing nativity scenes in the school system. I thought about how the kids of the Norman school system are being robbed of the real meaning of Christmas. I remember when I was a kid growing up in the Capital Hill area in South OKC, how I looked forward to the Christmas program each year. As the kids were singing, I started counting the number of times I heard the word Jesus; I lost count at 15 times. The word Christmas was used over 20 times and we even prayed at the start and finish of the program, just like we did when I was a kid.
How refreshing it is to attend a program by our young kids and listen to them use the word Jesus! They certainly are not ashamed of the word Jesus. Something like this could not happen in the public school system. No way can you say Jesus, and in some cases, you cannot even use the word Christmas because that might be offensive to someone. I have never understood how Christmas or even Jesus could offend someone. Sixty-five percent of Americans believe that the nation's founders intended the U.S. to be a Christian nation and 55% believe that the Constitution establishes a Christian nation, according to the “State of the First Amendment 2007” national survey released Sept. 11 by the First Amendment Center. Let’s not forget that the Christmas season is when all Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus. When someone tells you happy holidays be sure and say Merry Christmas. I find it very offensive for someone to say Happy Holidays. I, for one, am not ashamed to use the word Jesus. As we look back at our Constitution, we need to remember the first five freedoms listed in the First Amendment; Religion, Speech, Press, Assembly, and Petition.
We have a lot to be thankful for and we should never forget the rights and freedoms we have in the great county. Most importantly, we can never forget Jesus. Merry Christmas!
Bob

No comments: